Sunday, May 9, 2010

Milk of Magnesia

or as I call it M.O.M.

People have told me all types of horror stories from the previous pregnancies. Not one person told me I wouldn't be able to poop. Not.a.single.person. I noticed last week that it had been more than my normal few days. I thought ah, it will be ok. I was.so.wrong. I finally went on Monday. It took WAY longer than usual. (almost an hour) There were tears involved. Clinton was ready to take me to an urgent care place. I cried. Tried to move around. Asked for all sorts of things to drink(water, hot water, hot milk, apple juice). Then it finally happened.

Fast forward six days and guess what? I haven't gone since. Since Monday I have increased my water intake, increased my fiber, started colace. I really hope this doesn't continue throughout my whole pregnancy. I felt like I had done as much as I could on Saturday to try and stimulate the natural. I dug out the list of safe medications from my OB and decided I needed to try something else. I bought Milk of Magnesia Saturday morning hoping that would trick my body. Nope, didn't work.

We had Mothers Day brunch with my mom and siblings this morning and I have had horrible cramps since last night. When we got home from brunch I decided I have to do something about this. As I slowly unwrapped the bottle of M.O.M. I started double questioning did I REALLY need to do this? My wonderful husband reassured me, while he was laughing and making jokes, that I should just drink it. I poured my two tablespoons into the provided cup and started gagging before I ever took a sip. After about ten minutes, I finished it off. :gag:

I have a new sympathy for people that struggle with constipation. This is something very new to me. If you struggle with this, I am very sorry.

Any advice or any tricks that worked for you? If you experienced this during pregnancy, was it 1st 2nd and 3rd trimesters?

No comments:

Post a Comment